A large serving bowl with a brown painted rim and band of teal blue around a yellow painted kumquat in the center by Stangl Pottery. The bowl measures 10" across the rim and sits 2 3/4" high. The bottom is marked "Stangl Pottery Trenton N.J. Kumquat." The condition is very good
The origins of Stangl Pottery began in 1810 when Samuel Hill founded Hill Pottery in Flemington, New Jersey. Hill Pottery produced utilitarian pottery and drain pipes and did so until the 1860s when Abram Fulper bought Hill Pottery and in 1900 renamed the company Fulper Pottery Company. In 1910, Martin Stangl was hired as a ceramist at Fulper. After a stint at Haeger Pottery, Stangl returned to Fulper and in 1926, became its vice president. In 1929 after the death of William Fulper, Stangl took over the company and renamed it Stangl Pottery, producing art pottery, bird figurines and hand painted dinnerware until its closing in 1978.