A circa 1920s primitive green yellow ware clay "Windowpane" mixing bowl from McCoy. The bowl measures 9 1/2" across the unglazed rim, 3" across the rimmed base, and 5 1/2" high. The bottom is impressed with the number "9" inside of a shield which is inside of a circle and the number "4" adjacent to the shield. There are some noticeable factory glaze pops but no chips, cracks, or repairs.
McCoy Pottery was established in 1848 as the J.W. McCoy Stoneware Company and in 1910, was reestablished as the Nelson McCoy Sanitary Stoneware Company in Roseville, Ohio. After two decades producing utilitarian stoneware as member of a collective of potteries known as the American Clay Products Company, the Nelson McCoy Pottery was created in 1933 to supply the growing demand for decorative housewares. After operating for nearly 60 years as a family firm, McCoy was sold and over the next 35 years, was sold several more times and finally ceased operations permanently in 1990.